Saturday, August 4, 2007

Thursday's Commute (a few days late)`

Sorry. Gotta get into the habit of posting daily. Well I didn't go to work on friday so let me regale you with tales of thursday's commute.

It started bright and early on a hot, humid, hazy day (the Boston area being in a heat wave and all). My commuter train should have arrived at 6:45am, it actually arrived around 6:55am. Quite frustrating as it was so gross outside. I thought for sure there would be some kind of reprieve in the nice air conditioned train car. WRONG! The a/c on the train was virtually nonexistant! Picked up my friend at the next stop and we sweated all the way to Boston.

Get to the station and head over to pick up the regular subway train. We wait in the oppressive station and finally the train comes. We are thinking, there has to be a/c on this train. WRONG! The a/c on this train is as absent as the commuter rail. We finally arrive at the office and by some miracle are not late.

So then we work work work all day long. Dreaded the commute home because everytime we look at the MBTA website there are more and more delays. Its not going to be pretty.

So 5pm comes and my friend was going away for the weekend (lucky him) so he was going to go a different way home. Seeing where there was a delay on my commuter line I was also going to take an alternate route. Only as I am talking to my husband about picking me up at the other station do I see that there are mass delays on that line from a power outage. So I go back to plan A.

The regular subway line wasn't that bad actually. Crowded and filled with pushy people who seem to believe that half an inch is more then enough space to let 30 more people on. So I get to the commuter rail station and bid farewell to my friend who is probably as we speak poolside with his wife. I actually caught my commuter train and it didn't appear there was going to be a delay. I did the happy commuter dance and sat in a 2 person seat by myself. I was hoping if I spread my stuff out enough people would just ignore there was an empty seat next to me. It worked for a little bit. A woman came over and asked if she could sit with me. So i moved all my stuff and got pinned to the window.

THIS WOMAN STANK LIKE NOTHING ELSE ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH EVER HAS!

Seriously, she smelt like B.O. showered in onions with a little garbage as perfume. I thought I was going to hurl! I was trying to think how to get away from this woman without being rude. So I waited till the next stop (I almost passed out from lack of oxygen) and pretended I was getting off. I stood in the next car for the 20 minutes left it took me to get home because that woman was so gross. I came home and immediately showered.

That was trully a sucky commute and I really hope that monday is better. Though knowing the T it will probably be much much worse.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.